Wednesday, May 14, 2014

When a Food Addict Gets Sick

So a lot of people get sick and they just retreat into a cocoon of not eating, blankets, and tepid water. Sometimes I am one of those people. Today is not that day. 

Today I got up as usual and went about my business. Around 9 a.m. I started feeling really cruddy, with symptoms of nausea, diarrhea and headache. So I returned home, put on my stretchy pants and crawled into bed.

Now I know all about BRAT (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast)... I have eaten my fair share of saltine crackers, graham crackers, chicken soup, and the like. However, I also have this little gluten sensitivity issue. So, if I eat bread, pasta, or other grain products, I get a runny nose, stomach irritation, and a bloated gut. But coincidentally, my American Diet based on the traditional food pyramid tells me that those are the things I need. So I usually end up eating those things, which consequently ends up making me sicker. 

I have 5 levels of sick:
1) whining in bed & not eating anything at all
2) whining in bed & eating everything
3) whining in general, up and about & not eating anything at all
4) whining in general, up and about & eating everything, hoping it'll make me feel better
5) Mom Mode: feeling like crap but sucking it up and going about life as though I feel fine

Today is level 2. But without the carbs/grain. Phew. 

No comments:

Post a Comment