Monday, September 16, 2013

Simple Poultry Stock

The basis of all good soup is a good stock. I get practically giddy when I purchase a whole chicken or turkey because when the carcass has been picked clean, the broth begins!

There are many reasons to make your own broth. The foremost for me is that I get to control what goes into it! Cans and boxes of chicken broth are LOADED with sodium, not to mention preservatives and additives (in some cases). Homemade broth, specifically from bones and organs, is LOADED with power packed nutrients, and you only eat/drink what YOU put into it. I'm all for that!

 

A tip for the pre-broth preparation: don't toss those veggie trimmings! Celery, carrot & onion ends as well as bell pepper stems and innards, and other veggie "cast-offs" can be used to make an outstanding broth. Just save them in a bag or container in your fridge until it is broth making time.

Another tip...save the organs/innards! If (like me) you don't like to EAT organs (ie: liver, heat, etc.) and you are afraid you will taste the organs, I can assure you, YOU WON'T. They make your broth especially rich and tasty.


Finally, once you have an empty/semi empty carcass or meatbones, don't toss the juices or scrape the pan. Just put it all into the stockpot! You will be straining the broth, so chunks are ok. 

So here is my recipe for a tasty poultry broth. You will need a large stockpot with a lid, a fine sieve or colander with cheesecloth, and a stove that you can safely leave on for 4-24 hrs.

Poultry Bone Broth
1 poultry carcass (chicken or turkey)
Ends and pieces of your choice of veggies (I recommend celery, carrots, onion, bell pepper)***
Your choice of herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage are all tasty for this broth)
3 whole crushed garlic cloves
2 bay leaves
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar

To be added during last 60 mins
1/2 - 1 Tbsp sea salt to taste (optional)

Place the carcass in a large stockpot. Mine has a colander insert, which I love for making broth. Add veggies, herbs, garlic, bay leaves and vinegar. Fill the pot with water up to cover the bones. You may have to break the carcass apart to fit it in for larger birds or turkeys. You can also add any organs at this time. 

Bring the water to a boil over ALMOST high heat. Reduce heat to medium, cover and let simmer for 30 mins, stirring occasionally. 

Your cook time can and will vary, depending on how much time you have. The minimum cook time for chicken stock is 4 hrs. I have oftentimes left my broth on low for up to 24 hours. Be sure to add water as it simmers, making sure the bones are always covered. Add sea salt during the last 60 mins of cooking, if desired.

Remove the broth from heat. Using a fine sieve or a colander lined with cheesecloth, carefully strain the broth. Immediately separate the broth into smaller containers - I recommend 4 cups per container - and refrigerate (good for one week) or freeze (good for 6 months). If freezing, be sure to leave about an inch below the lid space as it will expand as it freezes.


***add these during the last 60 minutes if you are planning on a cook time longer than 4 hrs.

Some people like to remove fat from the top of the broth before freezing it. I don't. But YOU can if you'd like. This broth is great as a base for soups, or as a simple savory beverage. It contains tons of nutrients and is perfect for a detox regimen, a Paleo or whole food eating plan, or a sick tummy. 
________________________________________________________________________________

***add these during the last 60 minutes if you are planning on a cook time longer than 4 hrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment